Students at Fortis are encouraged to enjoy meals from our delicious catering service.
Depending on family circumstances, you may be eligible for Free School Meals. If you are, your child will have an amount added to their school meals account which will allow them to select a meal from our serveries every day. Our chef designs a broad menu of nutritious, tasty food so that students receiving Free School Meals can enjoy a two-course meal every day.
As of September 2022, families can apply for Free School Meals (according to the Government’s website) if they receive:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
In most cases:
- a response will be provided immediately
- you will not need to provide proof to the school
- you will not need to reapply to confirm continued eligibility
To complete an application you will need handy:
- Your own name and date of birth
- Contact details
- National Insurance Number or National Asylum Seekers Number
- Child’s name and date of birth
If you have any questions about applying for Free School Meals, please call 0121 366 6611 and ask for the Finance Team.